The Kostelanetz & Fink paralegal team helps our attorneys in researching and analyzing information and collaborates with our lawyers, providing them with essential analytical and technical support.
The program is overseen by Kelly Robin, who graduated from the University at Albany with a B.A. in Sociology and Psychology. Kelly has provided litigation support since 2007 and joined Kostelanetz & Fink, LLP, in 2011.
Our past paralegals have gone on to attend law school at Columbia University, New York University, Harvard University, Stanford University, and University of California, Irvine, and other graduate programs at Bryn Mawr College, Columbia University, Harvard University, Stanford University, University of Cambridge, and Yale University.
Our paralegal program includes a broad array of training sessions. Past training topics have included those listed below. We have also arranged for paralegal program alumni to return as guest speakers, to describe their post-K&F experiences in law school and other career paths.
- An introduction to the legal method
- The importance of confidentiality and security
- Searching databases in Westlaw, LexisNexis, Law360 and Cheetah
- Building case outlines using CaseMap
- Understanding different business entity types
- Reading and understanding financial statements
- eDiscovery platforms and Electronically Stored Information (ESI)
- Conducting privilege reviews
- Civil litigation procedure
- Taking and defending depositions
- Litigating before the U.S. Court of International Trade
- Handling appeals in New York State court
- Immigration law
- Criminal & civil procedure
- Tax litigation procedure
- The Internal Revenue Code and the Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017
- Using tax insurance
- Working with private investigators
- The importance of Kovel relationships
- Conducting cross-examination at trial
- The application of the federal sentencing guidelines to criminal tax cases
- Handling high-profile cases
- The tax law implications of multi-jurisdiction residency or travel
- Understanding IRS “Circular 230”
- Bitcoin/Blockchain basics
- Principles of administrative law
- Introduction to NYC procurement law
- Facilitating vendor integrity disclosure using “PASSPort,” NYC’s government contracting portal
- Estate planning and administration.