Robert M. Russell, a member of the The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, was appointed as Chair of the International – Technical Resource Panel (TRP) for the 2021-2022 committee year. The International TRP acts as the primary representative for the AICPA before Congress, Treasury, and the IRS on legislative and regulatory matters in the international tax arenas. As Chair, Mr. Russell will oversee and contribute to important panel projects, including legislative and regulatory activities, as well as provide resources, information, and counsel to other members regarding improvements to tax practices and procedures.
In this volunteer role, he will lead the panel in the following activities:
- Monitoring legislative and regulatory activity in the area of international taxation.
- Providing oversight for task forces created to address specific issues related to international tax law, regulatory rules, and the tax administrative process.
- Maintaining appropriate relationships with the IRS, Treasury, Congress, and other government officials.
- Collaborating with other organizations, such as the American Bar Association.
- Acting as a resource to assist the other committees, technical resource panels, and task forces, as appropriate, on matters of international taxation.
Members of the AICPA Committees are thought leaders in tax policy and advocacy. As chair, Mr. Russell will monitor legislative and regulatory activity on international taxation matters such as cross-border tax planning, international e-commerce, and multinational company mergers. Members also identify issues and recommend modifications to and simplification and clarification of international tax provisions. Members also maintain appropriate relationships with the IRS, Treasury, Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), Congress and other government officials; and serve as subject matter experts in the area of international taxation for the AICPA in the planning of relevant conferences.